The Scott County Fiscal Court will review its options regarding Central Kentucky Landfill now that its expansion plans have been rejected by a state environmental board.
The landfill and the county’s Solid Waste Plan is on the agenda for Thursday’s meeting.
“We have a lot to consider,” said County Judge-Executive Joe Pat Covington.
Last month, Energy and Environment Cabinet Secretary Rebecca Goodman upheld a Dec. 30, 2019 decision by administrative law judge Virginia Gorley denying the landfill’s application to expand.
Waste Services of the Bluegrass, owners of the landfill located in northern Scott County, has apparently appealed the decision in Franklin Circuit Court.
“Since Waste Services of the Bluegrass filed the application with the cabinet eight years ago, it has followed the guidance and directions of the cabinet and has responded to every request made of it by the cabinet, expanding vast amounts of time nad money in the process,” David Royse, an attorney for Waste Services told the Lexington Herald-Leader.
“While we are troubled by this sudden reversal in position by the cabinet, we have filed for judicial review with the Franklin Circuit Court and we look forward to our opportunity to address this matter in court.”
Last year, the Scott County Fiscal Court revised its Solid Waste Plan and considered filing a suit challenging the landfill’s expansion plans but backed off at the request of attorneys for a class action suit presenting county citizens. The fiscal court’s position is the landfill has altered its original plans for expansion and the application no longer complies with the county’s existing solid waste management ordinances.
Among the issues likely to be discussed Thursday by the fiscal court is that the landfill owes the county roughly $200,000 in unpaid tipping fees, as well as how the county may proceed in light of last month’s judgement.
Controversy has escalated since 2015 when the landfill signed a contract with the Lexington-Urban County government to haul Fayette County trash to Central Kentucky Landfill. Last year, Scott County officials asked Lexington officials not to renew their contract with the landfill, but did so anyway for five additional years in 2019. The contract is for about $3.6 million per year.
Landfill officials have said the existing footprint will run out of space within two years if an expansion is not approved and county officials were aware of the expansion plans when the landfill was purchased from the county in 1999.
Citizens living near the landfill have frequently complained about odors and the number of heavy trucks hauling trash traveling U.S. 25.
Mike Scogin can be reached at email@example.com.